Find Your Spark in 2019!
There’s a whole lot of resolving going on right now! The new year is a natural time to restart, refocus and return to the things you’re passionate about. At Camp Fire we call those sparks.
Everybody has sparks: the talents, interests, commitments or qualities that make you come alive. You can have more than one, and they can change over the course of your life.
Sparks give young people purpose. And when you pair solid sparks knowledge with support from caring adults? That’s a powerful combo. Research shows that when kids both know their passions and develop them with help from grown ups, they do better in school, have fewer mental health problems, are less likely to engage in risky behavior, and have a whole lot more hope about their future!
Do you want to help the kids in your life have a spectacular 2019? Start a sparks conversation!
Try using these questions, adapted from the Thrive Foundation for Youth, to get young people thinking about what their sparks might be.
(And if you’re starting the year a little listless, try these on yourself, too! A brand new spark might be just around the corner.)
- What makes you excited to get up in the morning?
- What makes you want to push the snooze button and stay in bed?
- What’s something you done lately that makes you proud?
- What’s your favorite day of the week? Why do you look forward to that day?
- If you had a whole day to do whatever you wanted, no matter what it cost or what it took, what would you do?
Want to support Camp Fire in its sparks work? Become a monthly giver!
*This blog originally appeared on campfire.org.